In the 1970’s this community came together to build a pool to teach their children to swim. Now, nearly 40 years later, this Centre faces the very real threat of closure next year due to cuts in funding and increasing competition for grants. We need the community to come together once again to save this Centre and ensure it remains at the heart of the community for many more years to come.
We need an additional £75,000 to ensure the Centre will be sustainable for the financial year from April 2017
Our income comes from memberships, admission charges, fundraising, donations and grants. It costs around £700,000 a year to run the Centre, however we are working hard to reduce costs. For example we have reduced our gas and electricty cost by 13% between 2012 and 2017, while our numbers of members have increased by 44% from March 2014 to March 2016.
However staff costs are our single biggest expense – our doors are open to the public for 360 days a year and staff are on site for up to 20 hours a day. The costs of employment have risen significantly, most notably through the introduction of the living wage. Our wage costs have risen by 17% between 2012 and 2017. Over the same period we have increased our operational income by 28%.
What are are doing to raise fund:
- Applying for grants
- Holding fund raising events such as the Solent Swim, Needles Swim, 3 Peaks Challenge, Raffles, Christmas Quiz
- Expanding our business and the services we offer
- Reducing costs
- Working with new sponsors
What you can do to help:
- Join our Community Support Scheme
- Make a donation and include Gift Aid
- Hold a fundraising event at your school or work like a cake sale, raffle or quiz
- Do a sponsored event on your own or with friends, such as a sponsored walk, or swim
- Join our team of volunteers
- Encourage family and friends to use the Centre
- Leave a legacy
- Become a business sponsor
But the simplest yet most important thing you can do is SPREAD THE WORD! Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram share our posts and let everyone know we need their support