Welcome to the Solent Swim in aid of West Wight Sports & Community Centre
In the 7 years since our first event, we have earned a reputation for being one of the best organisers of a Solent Swim event, and attract swimmers from across the country to take part in the 1.2 mile swim from Hurst Castle to Colwell Bay.
With over 100 people in or on the water for the swim, safety is paramount, which is why we have strict procedures in place for anyone taking part in the swim. This includes working closely with Freshwater Independent Lifeboat, and the Isle of Wight Canoe Club. Without their support the event would not happen.
We require around 30 kayakers to accompany our swimmers across the water, ribs to take them to the start at Hurst Point and safety boats to form a perimeter around the swimmers to keep them safe. If you would be interested in providing support on the water please download and complete the form below
We ensure all our swimmers can complete the distance within a specified time, take part in an open water rescue and recovery session, and attend a full safety briefing the night before the event.
WWSCC is a charity run facility that provides sports, fitness and community services to the people of the West Wight It is more just a swimming pool but a real community hub, providing a range of facilities and services focusing on health, fitness, personal growth and development. We are regarded as a community asset. We help people to feel better about themselves – fitter, healthier, more confident and well rounded.
However, we may not be here for much longer. We now rely on ad hoc grants, our commercial income streams and fundraising events such as the Solent Swim, to ensure we can continune to provide essential services to our community. Our huge financial challenge is to find an extra £150,000 a year to fill the gap in funding. The Solent Swim is the main fundraising event for the Centre and since our first event in 2010, more than 250 people have swum the Solent and raised over £150,000 for the charity.
All swimmers are required to raise a minimum of £250 (excluding Gift Aid) for West Wight Sports & Community Centre
The 7th Solent Swim will take place on Saturday 2nd September 2017
- all swimmers will be required to take part in safety and training sessions and briefings before the event. These are compulsory and essential for us to ensure your safety. Please do not sign up if you cannot attend the following events:
– complete 100 lengths timed swim at West Wight Sports & Community Centre on Tuesday 8th August – start times to be allocated between 5pm and 7pm
– attend at least one of the arranged rescue and recovery sessions at Colwell Bay on Tuesday 8th August at 7pm or Sunday 20th August at 10am
– attend the pre-event safety briefing at West Wight Sports & Community Centre on Friday 1st September at 7.30pm
- if the event is postponed due to weather conditions, the reserve date is Saturday 16th September
To take part in the event either as a swimmer, in a support role as a kayaker or provide a safety boat, please complete the relevant form below:
The Solent Swim is supported by